Junk food for the soul

Some of my earliest childhood memories are of sharing McDonald's fries with my Dad after preschool. I would eat them. He would steal one. It was a game...sort of.  To this day I am very protective of my food. I take bigger portions than my 5 foot almost 4 inches really needs. I secretly always take the biggest scoop of ice cream or cake. In short, I love my food. So don't mess with it or deny me.

Junk food is no exception, though my healthy Humboldt county husband brought more veggies and salad into my life. I relapsed mostly when I was pregnant with my second child. McDonald's sausage egg biscuits in the morning...Cheetos and Coke (not Diet) at 4 p.m. every day. It was probably NOT fate then that she has of late been my partner in crime when it comes to eating out. We discovered Mountain Dew slushees, smothered burritos and Doritos tacos and cinnamon twists at Taco Bell and went back three times during the last few weeks when the healthy husband and vegetarian son were away burning calories on a bike tour in Ireland. There was also some Panda Express on Open House night (how the heck was I to prepare a meal when I got of at 5 and had to be there at 6?) and a Little Caesar Pizza somewhere in there too. Oh and let's not forget the frozen yogurt from Limeberry's.

It's no wonder that our country struggles with obesity. And I've come to a conclusion. It's not about a lack of wanting to be healthy, it's a lack of time and energy. Being the single Mom the last few weeks I was exhausted. I wanted to cook a healthy meal but there were only two of us and I was tired and so on...

I wish some healthy-minded businessperson would start a healthy food chain in the Northwest. I know in Europe there are lots of affordable salad bars and delis. In Dallas they have a place called Sprouts http://www.sproutsrestaurant.com/ . Yummy, healthy and complete with drive-thru. Then again, maybe I could dish up some Mac n Cheese at home on the cheap. Or Ramen. Or popcorn.

Sadly, our unhealthy eating fest is coming to an end tomorrow. What's for dinner now?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm sorry Oprah

Take three deep breaths

Breathe