Giving thanks for my race?

Some of my many white ancestors - no other race in my blood 
As we say good-bye to another Thanksgiving holiday, it's a good time to reflect on all for which I am truly grateful.

While historically a religious-based and gratitude-for-the-harvest celebration long before our white ancestors invaded this country, Thanksgiving is generally a time to gather with friends and family, eat way too much food (if you have that kind of privilege) and watch the National Dog Show (if you are me). And that's OK. I think.

What it is NOT is a time to decorate your house with pilgrim salt and pepper shakers or perpetuate the myth that the holiday symbolized the coming together dinner of Native Americans and colonists. What it SHOULD ALSO BE is a time to recognize that the land we all live on is traditional land of indigenous peoples that was stolen from them. Not something until recently we have begun teaching our children in the history books. I can't tell you how many school-based activities I recall making paper "Indian" headbands with feathers, or seeing some play with Pilgrims and Native Americans holding hands and singing. I was also in a little troop called Indian princesses and somewhere there is a little picture of white little me with pigtails and a little headdress. Did I get a badge for that (cringe)?!

Now before you get all defensive white people, think about it. Native Americans were here thousands of years before white colonists invaded this country (and others) with our "we know best and have guns" attitude. I'm pleased in my school district and many other public organizations we are now recognizing this fact through land acknowledgements. What is that you say? It's the simple and solemn practice of opening meetings and events with a statement recognizing the indigenous inhabitants of the land. 

Learning about the Native American culture has again reminded me about my own white privilege and the many challenges faced by all people of color. It makes me ask: Am I grateful to be white? That's a tough one. It has certainly given me access to power and privilege and other things that many of us think of as basic. It's not something I can change, but I can become more aware of how I use that privilege to make my world a better place. 

We have been reading a lot about equity in my district, and the land acknowledgement piece is just part of that. I am hopeful someone will read this article and challenge my white privilege yet again. We cannot just say "well my intention was good" or "I don't see color when I see people." I just need to keep reading, learning and listening. 

So back to that intro question: What am I thankful for?  
  1. My family
  2. My health
  3. My sobriety
  4. My friends
  5. My dog (sorry that may seem trivial but he's really quite awesome and fun)
  6. My home
  7. Clean water and plumbing 
  8. A house I own
  9. Blankets and heat and a roof 
  10. Food
  11. A good-paying job that serves others
  12. A hot bath or shower
  13. Health insurance
  14. Access to vote 
  15. My access to good schools and a college education 
  16. Paid leave so I can have hip surgery and take 4 weeks off
  17. Parents who had access to higher education 
  18. Walking down the street and not having people cross it to avoid me 
  19. Having a reliable car to drive 
I could go on but one thing is very clear to me as I scan this list. Being white has a lot to do with all of these things (except maybe the dog) for which I am grateful. That said, I am also ashamed of my race and how white people take advantage of their privilege and take their privilege for granted. Still, I gotta own this. I can't change my race but I can recognize the privilege and advantage that comes with it. I can use it to help others and maybe, just maybe, make the world a better place. And I'm probably saying this all wrong and hope others will correct me where I'm wrong, or racist or off. 

But here is my question: Should I suck it up and add race as number 20? 

*To learn more in a much more eloquent and researched article click this NYTimes article on Thanksgiving myth. Hope you can access! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take three deep breaths

I'm sorry Oprah

Breathe