Bah! Humbug! A Christmas story

“If I could work my will, every idiot who goes about with ‘Merry Christmas’ on his lips should be boiled with his own pudding and buried with a stake of holly through his heart. He should!”
 -- Ebenezer Scrooge 



So maybe that's a little harsh but if I'm being honest, I have never really been a Christmas girl.

I like seeing my family who live elsewhere, getting a tree, and listening to Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas" for the 1,245th time. And when the kids were little I enjoyed participating in the Santa myth, watching their little faces light up Christmas morning when they saw their letters to "Santa" materialized of toys and books under the tree. 

But in terms of stocking stuffers, gorgeous gift wrapping, maddening crowds, and Black Friday deals? No thanks. But I don't necessarily think that makes me a Scrooge or a Grinch. I have just come to realize in the past few years that mortality is very real, life is fragile, and too many people find meaning in materialism and Facebook likes instead of experiences or other people. Plus if I really need something I will buy it! 

So this year I have made a resolution: aside from immediate family members who expect the gift exchange, I'm going to donate children's books to my local Reading Foundation instead. I'm not sure how this will go over with some of my Christmas-loving friends, but shopping for that "perfect gift" for my besties, colleagues and relatives is just not my idea of fun anymore. It goes against my values and frankly stresses me out. 

So, if someone gives me a gift (I don't feel I have the right to buzz kill people who like this tradition)

I will thank them and kindly ask them the name of their favorite children's book and buy it and donate
it. Maybe that seems cheesy and righteous, but that's my plan. Why books? Reading has always been one of my passions. Working at the South Sound Reading Foundation was one of my favorite jobs ever, partly because I got to witness the results. Giving away books to kids and spreading the "Read to your Child 20 Minutes a day!" message was priceless to me. It also holds a special place because my mentor Shirlee, who hired me for that job, passed away 12 years ago. 

So while I may put the Scrooge on some folks' Christmas spirit, I hope they know how we each celebrate the holiday season is personal AND will help spread the love of literacy to more kids in our community. 

Frankly, I don't think even the Grinch -- after "his heart grew 3 sizes that day"-- would object! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take three deep breaths

Staying at home ain't so bad

Flat candy and other obsessions