Maui Magic

Well I had heard the rumors that Maui and Hawaii in general was a magical place. I have certainly been cast under its spell. It's not just one thing like the calming waves or the "Alohas" of people you meet on morning beach walks, or the fish tacos (yes, I find food to be quite magical). It's just this unexplainable "chill" factor. You unwind. I have not thought about work for nearly 7 days. I have drank less alcohol and walked or run every day. I have spent quality time with my 14-year-old daughter who I can see now really does need me if not in the way I might expect.

Yesterday I met this amazing massage therapist who is legally blind. Always the journalist I asked many questions about Hawaii. She told me the story of how she used to come here as a teenager to visit her divorced father, a former NYC fashion designer. He went on to start a new life here, going back to school, getting his master's and PhD and becoming a renowned psychiatrist in Hawaii. Inspiring! Now maybe it was just all him and not Maui magic, but it was still very telling. Likewise, the massage therapist has built a successfully business here and while blind since birth, she only recently got her own guide dog who then inspired her to study canine therapy.

So what does all this mean to me? I am not sure yet except that a) my passion is still people and finding out their stories and b) I hope I can take some of this magic and chill factor back with me to my "real life" and use it to focus on what is really important -- family, health and friendship. Oh and I also want to get a sea turtle tattoo even though I am 44.

I'll keep you posted. Until then, "Aloha!"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take three deep breaths

I'm sorry Oprah

Breathe