Just Say No

I recently read an article in Oprah about an affirmation book called The Year of Yes. I had to smile as I've lived that life and what I found was professionally or personally it wore me out. Maybe it's because my own Mom was on a zillion committees and always volunteering (for the most part that was her job, along with raising us). Or maybe it's just in my nature as a "pleaser" to try to make sure everyone else's needs were met before my own. Whatever the reason, I've decided that next year will be a year of non-commitments. My own The Year of No.

This is really hard for me because in general I'm a very positive person, but over the last couple years I have become more negative. Ironically, I think it's because I forgot to do things that made me happy. As women we are raised to be nurturers. From babysitting to baking to breastfeeding, our society at least in the last century has done it's best to try and convince women that their place is in the home. And if a women wants to work outside the home, power to her but she'd better still give 100% at home. And while you're at it don't forget to be the Facebook perfect friend who volunteers and gets 1,000 likes and "atta girls" from friends and friends of friends and strangers.

So we'll see how this goes for me. It's not like I can drop out of life. I'm getting a new boss in a couple months and I'm pretty sure me saying "no" to every request would not sit well with her or my longevity at the office. But I am going to be more selective of what I do. My parents are getting older and I want to spend more time with them. My kids are getting older and soon we will have an empty nest. And I'm getting older and realizing life really is short. So many people I know -- of all ages -- are battling cancer and other diseases and I need to take better care of myself.

So here goes...nothing!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take three deep breaths

I'm sorry Oprah

Breathe