Just do it!

As I embark on a new push for self-care and healthy living, I am struck by the fact that I am capable of follow through but often don't. What's that about? Why is it so hard to stick to a routine? Why can't we pick up our clothes (daughter not me), put away coffee cup or write daily on my book like I committed to doing two months ago? I dunno. What I do know is that success and results do not come naturally or through laziness.

For awhile now I've been using stress as an excuse. Yes I work a high pressure job -- so do millions of other people. Yes we recently had a family health emergency. Dealt with it. Yes my teenage children think I'm a dork and we often test each other's patience. Welcome to parenting. Yes a couple drinks (or more) a night can relax you and make you seemingly fun, but it also plays havoc on emotions, liver and health.

My boss who is 67 recently ran a half marathon with his doctor son. Reportedly it was a little easier for dear old Dad. I have another friend who seemingly runs a marathon every month (good luck with those knees dear amazing one). I admire these people not so much for their running but their determination to accomplish a goal. Whatever that goal may be.

Over the past five years with several family transitions and crisis I have learned that "everybody has their stuff (nicer way of saying something else)." I respect that. I have compassion for that and need to more for myself. But I can also do something about it.

So here goes nothing....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take three deep breaths

I'm sorry Oprah

Breathe